02 October 2008

An Update

Last night I volunteered again for Bikes Not Bombs. Let me tell you, that's the cure for anything that ails you. The people are all so cheerful and welcoming, the work so rewarding and fun at the same time, and the recycling of bikes for the betterment of the local and international community is a cause anyone can get behind. I left so much happier, and very excited about bikes again. Yeah bikes!

Harriet Fell chic cyclistWhile I was there I was honored to meet one of the original chic cyclists. Having spoken with Harriet Fell herself I can say that she is gracious and generous, indeed it was her generosity that helped inspire this blog. When I thanked her for that she warmly and quickly pulled a pen and paper from her purse to take down this web address. I could not have been more honored. From her family I have learned that sharing a passion with the world, giving of oneself, is a gift that goes both ways. Teaching is the traditional way to give like that, but I'm learning there are other ways too. I know of three women who have contacted me through this blog and now have their first adult bicycles. I hope there will be more.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I wish they had something like Bikes not Bombs here. Things are picking up: I slowly see more commuters and the efforts of a few students on campus have brought a yellow bike program through Green Initiatve. But this area is still stuck in SUV & pick-up truck mode. A long way to go...

Anonymous said...

I just did some volunteering with BNB too. It absolutely is a regenerating experience. Have you ever been to a container loading? Maybe see you some Wednesday night.
-Alexfz

John-Paul said...

I hadn't realized you were also a BNB volunteer. My girlfriend and I, both enthusiastic readers of your blog, have been volunteering there for five years; she's the interim Board chair. We're not often at volunteer nights but can be found at other times, especially during container loadings. And, of course, we like BNB's commitment to rebuilding stylish old bikes. Hence the three Raleighs in various states of repair on our porch right now! Good to see two good things--Chic Cyclist and BNB--coming together.